Easy, can take around 30-40 minutes
- Turnips (2-3) peeled and diced into cubes
- meatballs (will post a recipe soon- or feel free to use your own recipe)
- mixed spices (will post a recipe soon)
- salt and pepper
- rice flour
- lemon juice (or half a fresh lemon)
- 1 onion, diced
- Fry the diced onion in a little oil in a pan
- Once the onion becomes yellowish-brown, add 1-2tbsps of the mixed spices (1tbsp for around 2-3 people or 2tbsp if making a larger quantity)
- Allow the spices to mix in with the onion and then add boiling water (around 1litre but again you can add more for larger quantities)
- Add a little salt and pepper to taste
- Now throw in the meatballs and let them cook in the soup
- In a separate cup, add around 2tbsp of rice flour and a little boiling water and mix till it forms a smooth paste
- After around 15 minutes, add the rice flour water mix into the soup and stir in well to allow the soup to thicken
- Now throw in the turnips and allow them to cook till soft (this will take around 10-15minutes)
- Throw in a little lemon juice (around 1tsp) or use the juice of half a lemon. Taste the soup at this point and season more if required.
- Taste one of the meatballs to make sure its cooked through and serve in a bowl, ready to eat!
If you don’t use turnips very frequently, a good idea is to buy a bunch, peel them and cut them into cubes then freeze them in freezer bags. They can stay in the freezer for around 2 months absolutely fine! Simply chuck a few of them into the soup whenever you make it and keep the rest in the freezer for another day.
For a vegetarian alternative, you can replace the meatballs with Quorn meatballs or omit altogether and replace with either more turnips or other vegetables such as cauliflower.